8 Tips to Relieve Your Sinus Pain
Are you among the 37 million Americans who have sinus problems each year? If so, there's a lot you can do around the house to create a "sinus-friendly" environment.
Here are some tips to help you prevent sinus infections and avoid the complications associated with it.
- Keep hydrated, which keeps mucus thin.
- Avoid irritants such as cigarettes, allergens, and other air pollutants which make sinus membranes swell and worsen headaches.
- Use a humidifier or vaporizer to add moisture to dry rooms and prevent sinus infection. Breathing in dry indoor air--particularly common in wintertime--can really stuff up the nose, thicken mucous, and irritate the sinuses.
- Try steam therapy. A hot shower may offer the same humidifying help, or you can invest in a product specifically designed for the purpose, such as the Vicks VapoTherapy Personal Steam Inhaler.
- Rest is important when suffering from a sinus headache. Increase your rest to ease sinus pain and avoid overexerting yourself.
- Use a sinus rinse. These can be found at your local pharmacy and they are fairly inexpensive. Use once or twice daily and make sure to use distilled water.
- Alternate hot and cold compresses. Reclining with a hot washcloth over your eyes and nose can help warm the nasal passages and loosen secretions. Start by placing a hot towel or washcloth across your sinuses for about three minutes. Then place a cold compress across your sinuses for 30 seconds. Alternate three more times, and repeat the treatment about four times a day.
- Reduce alcohol consumption, which can worsen mucus.
If you develop a sinus infection, begin treatment right away to reduce complications. Contact us today!
Consult Advanced ENT and Allergy if symptoms persist for more than ten days, if you have a fever more than 100.5, or if you have multiple sinus infections a year because all of these are signs of respiratory or sinus heath issues.